Tuesday, September 8, 2009

the ultimate before & after

Ta-da! Can I just say how much better I like the "after"? The only reason why I'm smiling in the "before" is because we were in the hospital parking lot on the way to be induced. You should have seen me an hour before while we were waiting for the hospital to call... Something like this is about right:On Friday the hospital was supposed to call me to tell me what time to come in to be induced. Russell and I were so excited - waiting all day for the call - finally when they hadn't called by 5 we called them. "Anna Hansen? No, I'm sorry you're not on the list for tomorrow. Call your doctor's office." WHAT?! I tried to keep my cool while I called the doctor. Of course it was after 5 so the office was closed so I tried paging the doctor that was on call - but when I tried the number it came back with an error saying that the pager was no longer connected. That was about the point where I started crying. I was pushed to the limit and they couldn't make me wait another day! I was more than a week overdue! Anyway, in my pregnant emotional state I had just dialed the wrong number. :) We were ultimately able to get ahold of the doctor and they got me on the list for the next day and everything was okay. phew.

Everything with the labor and delivery went incredibly well. Honestly, I was really really surprised. They brought us in and hooked me up to the petocin and we got started. After a few hours the contractions started getting pretty intense, so they gave me an epidural and it was AMAZING. Seriously, look at my smile up there. I was amazed at how I wasn't in any pain at all. In fact, I was more comfortable than I had been in weeks. Russell and I just watched the contraction monitor go up and down and I got more sleep than I had the previous two nights put together. We got to the hospital around 11 am and by the time 6 pm rolled around I was only dilated to a 4. That sounds like a long time to be waiting - but it really wasn't. It actually passed pretty quickly (thank you epidural!). They figured I was going to be there all night but then the next time they checked me I had jumped from a 4 to a 10 and was ready to push. They were so surprised and called the doctor to come right away. But the baby was on it's way and (this might be too much information) he was crowning and they told me to hold off and not push until the doctor got there. It's really hard to listen to nurses saying "Don't push" when your body is screaming "Get this baby outta here now!". We spent 20 minutes sitting there waiting for the doctor that way. Finally the doctor showed up and Jonas was born just a minute or two later.

When he came out he was completely blue. But a couple nurses took care of it right away and he was screaming in no time. He was born on Saturday, August 29th at exactly 9 pm. He weighed 8 pounds even and was 19 inches long. It really is an amazing thing. A perfect little person. We are so lucky and grateful.


Lauren said...

Wow, I didn't know that you had to wait an extra day - not sure how I missed that. And Jonas is such a perfect little person.

Dean, Andrea, and Tanner said...

Sounds like delivery went pretty well. I can't believe you didn't even really push! That's pretty lucky! Epidurals are the BEST! Except when it takes two hours for them to actually take affect. I'm hoping that's not the case the next time. Jonas is seriously cute!